How to File a Civil Rights Complaint

When to File a Civil Rights Complaint

If you have been discriminated against or feel your civil rights were violated at any time during the disaster process, you should consider filing a complaint with the Federal agencies listed below. 

Note: the complaint must be filed by an individual. An entity or organization can assist an individual with filing their complaint, but an entity or organization cannot file a civil rights complaint without an individual whose rights were violated. 

Where and How to File a Complaint

(1) Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Civil Rights and Civil Liberties Compliance Branch (CRCL)

Ways to File a Complaint with DHS CRCL:

  • Call: +1 (866) 644-8360 / TTY: 1-866-644-8361
  • Or use the online complaint portal (here)
  • Or you can download and use this optional complaint form (here) and return to CRCL via e-mail, fax, or mail.
  • Or you can provide a detailed written description of the pertinent events via email, fax, phone, or postal mail. (Please note that e-mailing your correspondence is the fastest way to reach CRCL.)
    • Email:
    • Fax: 202-401-4708
    • Mail: DHS/CRCL, Compliance Branch
      245 Murray Lane, SW, Bldg 410, MS #0190
      Washington, DC 20528-0190

(2) FEMA Office of Equal Rights (OER) / External Civil Rights Division (ECRD)

Ways to File a Complaint with FEMA OER

  • Call: +1 (833) 285-7448 / 711 or Video Relay Services (VRS): +1 (800) 621-3362
    [Press 1 for English, 2 for español, 3 for other languages]
  • Or Email: 
  • Or Mail: FEMA Office of Equal Rights
    C Street, SW, Room 4SW-0915
    Washington, DC 20472-3505

(3) U.S. Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of Civil Rights (OCR)

Ways to File a Complaint with HHS OCR

Organizations that Can Help You File a Complaint

The Civil Rights of People with Disabilities are NEVER suspended, and must ALWAYS be upheld, including during disasters!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.