How to File a Civil Rights Complaint
When to File a Civil Rights Complaint
If you have been discriminated against or feel your civil rights were violated at any time during the disaster process, you should consider filing a complaint with the Federal agencies listed below.
Note: the complaint must be filed by an individual. An entity or organization can assist an individual with filing their complaint, but an entity or organization cannot file a civil rights complaint without an individual whose rights were violated.
Where and How to File a Complaint
(1) Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Civil Rights and Civil Liberties Compliance Branch (CRCL)
Ways to File a Complaint with DHS CRCL:
- Call: +1 (866) 644-8360 / TTY: 1-866-644-8361
- Or you can download and use this optional complaint form (here) and return to CRCL via e-mail, fax, or mail.
- Or you can provide a detailed written description of the pertinent events via email, fax, phone, or postal mail. (Please note that e-mailing your correspondence is the fastest way to reach CRCL.)
- Email: CRCLCompliance@hq.dhs.gov
- Fax: 202-401-4708
- Mail: DHS/CRCL, Compliance Branch
245 Murray Lane, SW, Bldg 410, MS #0190
Washington, DC 20528-0190
(2) FEMA Office of Equal Rights (OER) / External Civil Rights Division (ECRD)
Ways to File a Complaint with FEMA OER
- Call: +1 (833) 285-7448 / 711 or Video Relay Services (VRS): +1 (800) 621-3362
[Press 1 for English, 2 for español, 3 for other languages]
- Or Email: FEMA-CivilRightsOffice@fema.dhs.gov
- Or Mail: FEMA Office of Equal Rights
C Street, SW, Room 4SW-0915
Washington, DC 20472-3505
(3) U.S. Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of Civil Rights (OCR)
Ways to File a Complaint with HHS OCR
- Call: +1 (800) 368-1019 / TDD: +1 (800) 537-7697
- Or online via the OCR Complaint Portal
- Or you can download and fill out the Civil Rights Discrimination Complaint Form Package (here) and return to OCR via email or postal mail.
- Email: OCRComplaint@hhs.gov
- Mail: Centralized Case Management Operations, U.S. Department of HHS
200 Independence Avenue, S.W.
Room 509F HHH Bldg.
Washington, DC 20201
Organizations that Can Help You File a Complaint
The Civil Rights of People with Disabilities are NEVER suspended, and must ALWAYS be upheld, including during disasters!