Disability & Disaster Hotline:
+1 (800) 626-4959
The Partnership’s Disability & Disaster Hotline provides information, referrals, guidance, technical assistance and resources to people with disabilities, their families, allies, organizations assisting disaster impacted individuals with disabilities and others seeking assistance with immediate and urgent disaster-related needs.
The Disaster Hotline is always available for intake calls, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Our hotline team is led by experts on the many issues affecting people with disabilities in disasters and strategies for meeting those immediate needs. Our team will respond to your call as soon as possible, often immediately, and we intend to respond to all callers within 24 hours.
We can provide accessible and multilingual information to callers, including via videophone for Deaf callers, upon request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Issues we provide information, guidance, and referrals for:
- Urgent disability-related disaster response referrals
- Prevention of institutionalization during and after disasters
- Applying for, understanding and navigating FEMA and other federal, state and local government emergency and disaster programs and services
- Disability rights before, during and after disasters
- Accessible and actionable emergency information
- Building and neighborhood evacuation
- Accessible transportation
- Sheltering and temporary housing
- Disaster housing programs
- Alternatives to “special needs” and “medical” sheltering and “special needs” and “voluntary” registries
- Health maintenance
- Health care access
- Disability accommodations in disasters
- Repair, replacement and loaned durable medical equipment, disability supplies, and assistive devices
- Returning home, school, work and community after a disaster
- Navigating disaster recovery initiatives
- Disaster funding
The Disaster Hotline is available to:
- Disaster impacted individuals with disabilities, their families and allies
- Disability advocacy and services organizations
- Community organizations seeking to assist disaster impacted individuals with disabilities
- Government and non-government representatives from emergency management, public health, medical, private sector, business, voluntary organizations active in disasters, faith-based, elected officials and others seeking to assist individuals with disabilities and disaster-impacted communities
- Media inquiries
- Donors and others who seek to support our work
WHO WE ARE
The Partnership for Inclusive Disaster Strategies (the Partnership) is the only national membership organization with a mission of equal access to emergency and disaster programs before, during, and after disasters and public health emergencies for people with disabilities.
We are the nation’s experts on disability rights, accessibility, and inclusion throughout all phases of disaster operations.
Our members represent disability organizations in every congressional district in the country, and our member organizations and their affiliates operate in virtually every US community.
We know that community resilience is only possible when planning, response, and recovery is accessible to all and includes people with disabilities and others with access and functional needs as key members of community preparedness and resilience initiatives, before, during, and after disasters.