Emergency Preparedness and People with Disabilities in Connecticut: Virtual Trainings
This two-part virtual training for Connecticut Statewide Emergency Operations Management, Emergency Responders, and others took place in June of 2022. It was an interactive and dynamic training series by Melissa Marshall, JD of The Partnership, to jumpstart the important process of emergency planning and preparedness that is truly inclusive for people with disabilities.
This training looks at:
- Recognizing implicit and unconscious disability bias and ableism in emergency management.
- Interrupting disability bias during planning and response.
- Most appropriate disability etiquette during planning and response.
This training delves into:
- How to meet legal obligations to people with disabilities during disaster planning and throughout disasters.
- Specific obligations including providing equally effective communication and physical access, and otherwise meeting non-discrimination obligations.
- Inclusive emergency management strategies.